Italian Navy chief Adm. Valter Giradelli signed the deals with Staff Maj. Gen. Mohammed Nasser Al Mohannadi, head of Qatar’s Navy.
ROME — The heads of the navies of Qatar and Italy signed deals in Rome on Wednesday for the Italian training of Qatari sailors ahead of the delivery of a series of Italian-built ships to the Gulf state.
The deals cover the enrollment of Qataris at Italian Navy training centers, the embarking of Qatari Navy personnel on Italian vessels and the dispatch of an Italian naval liaison officer to the Qatar naval headquarters in Doha.
In June, Qatar signed a €3.8 billion (U.S. $4 billion) contract to buy seven naval vessels from Italy’s Fincantieri shipyard as part of Italy’s largest-ever naval export deal.
The deal covered four 3,000-ton corvettes, one landing platform dock and two 700-ton offshore patrol vessels, with a six-year construction program due to start at Fincantieri’s Italian yards in 2018.
The landing platform dock will be modeled on the one that Fincantieri delivered to Algeria in 2014, which is 143 meters long and displaces 9,000 tons.
The two naval chiefs also discussed the possibility of Qatar’s Navy joining the Virtual Regional Maritime Traffic Centre, a virtual network coordinated by Italy linking participating navies and providing information about merchant shipping.
The meeting also covered the setup of naval training centers in Qatar, the Italian Navy said in a statement.
- Boeing, U.S. Army Sign $3.4B Contract for 268 AH-64E Apache Helicopters March 21, 2017
- Lockheed Martin gets $40 million contract to recoat Air Force F-22 Raptors March 21, 2017
- Lockheed Martin to Deliver World Record-Setting 60kW Laser to U.S. Army March 17, 2017
- MBDA extends its family of very short range air defence solutions March 15, 2017
- Iran successfully tests ballistic missile March 10, 2017
- NIMR Product Video starring the AJBAN 440A, AJBAN LRSOV, HAFEET Ambulance, HAFEET 620A, JAIS 4×4 and NIMR RIV March 7, 2017
- Kelvin Hughes launches new drone detection radar March 7, 2017
- Lockheed Martin Introduces Paragon™ Direct Attack Munition March 3, 2017
- Italy and Qatar ink naval training deal March 2, 2017
- Sikorsky Transfers S-70i™ Helicopter to Aselsan for Turkish Utility Helicopter Program Development March 2, 2017